On the right PATH; Director of Big Isle nonprofit named to Kaiser honor roll

LAURA RUMINSKI/West Hawaii Today Tina Clothier stands with the award she was given for being named to Kaiser Permanente’s 2018 Thriving Schools Honor Roll.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

KAILUA-KONA — The People’s Advocacy for Trails Hawaii — or PATH — conducts and operates a plethora of educational and safety programs, which recently gained the organization’s director national accolades.

Tina Clothier, PATH executive director, was named to Kaiser Permanente’s 2018 Thriving Schools Honor Roll, a program that honors individuals who are championing sustainable, healthy school environments. Individuals are nominated by Kaiser Permanente staff who are familiar with their organizational work.

“I was delighted! It came out of the blue,” Clothier said. “I was very surprised and felt very honored, especially since we’re the only nonprofit in the list of awardees and the only one from Hawaii.”

Kaiser described Clothier in a press release as convener, innovator and bold leader.

“These are the titles that are used to describe the way that Tina Clothier goes about her work,” the release said. “Tina has been instrumental in building support for active transportation, particularly among Hawaii’s schools.”

She was presented the award earlier this month during a PATH general meeting.

“It means a tremendous amount to me and to our organization,” Clothier said.

Founded in 1986, PATH strives to safely connect people and places in Hawaii Island with pathways and bikeways. Since taking the helm in 2013, Clothier has built support for the use of these new avenues for school students through programs such as Safe Routes to School.

Clothier moved in 1979 to the Big Island from Oahu. Before joining PATH, she had a 16-year career with the American Cancer Society, where she became the chief staff officer for the Hawaii Pacific Region. She is active in the Rotary Club of Kona and the Kona-Kohala Chamber of Commerce and enjoys scuba diving, golf, hiking and photography.

Clothier is one of 19 recipients of the Kaiser honor roll accolades.

Email Tianna Morimoto at tmorimoto@westhawaiitoday.com.