Hilo’s 1st baby of 2019 arrives at HMC

Swipe left for more photos

HOLLYN JOHNSON/Tribune-Herald Jaycob Shane Ramos Martines was born at 6:07 p.m. on January 1, 2019 at Hilo Medical Center.
HOLLYN JOHNSON/Tribune-Herald Shaina Ramos and Jarod Martines hold their newborn son, Jaycob Shane Ramos Martines, on Wednesday at Hilo Medical Center. Jaycob was born at 6:07 p.m. Tuesday (Jan. 1), New Year’s Day.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Jaycob Shane Ramos Martines helped his parents welcome the new year.

The son of Shaina Ramos and Jarod Martines, Jaycob was the first — and only — baby born at Hilo Medical Center on New Year’s Day.

Arriving just after 6 p.m. Tuesday (Jan. 1), he measured 21.5 inches long and weighed 6 pounds, 14 ounces.

Jaycob arrived a few days ahead of his Jan. 6 due date.

“I was surprised when I found out he was the only one born yesterday,” Ramos said in her hospital room Wednesday, where she and Martines were presented with a few baby-centric gifts from the hospital.

Martines said “everybody wanted him to come out (New Year’s Day) because we went in the hospital the day before on New Year’s Eve, because she was bleeding.”

When Ramos first went to the hospital Dec. 31, she was only 1 centimeter dilated. So she was sent home.

She and Martines celebrated New Year’s Eve, but Ramos said she woke at 5 a.m. having contractions five minutes apart.

“I was like, ‘wait, I don’t want to go to the hospital yet because I don’t want to get sent back home for it being Braxton-Hicks (contractions),” she said. “So we ended up coming like at 10 o’clock in the morning, and I could already feel the contractions.”

Ramos was happy when she was told she could stay.

Her labor went quick, once she returned to the hospital.

“I was actually expecting to give birth later at night. I felt like it was a fast labor for him,” Ramos said about the delivery.

There were no complications, and Ramos said she only pushed for about 20 minutes.

When asked how it felt to be a first-time mom, she responded, “It feels good,” and added Martines will be a natural as a dad.

Email Stephanie Salmons at ssalmons@hawaiitribune-herald.com.