Community briefs for November 29

Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Applications for grant being accepted

The UH-Hilo Disabilities Achievement Grant recognizes and honors a student with a disability for his or her superior scholastic performance and who plans to enroll or is enrolled at UH-Hilo for the Spring 2019 semester.

Those applying must be enrolled either full- or part-time, have a 3.0 GPA, and are a qualified student with a disability. The application deadline is Dec. 14.

For more information, contact the Disability Services office at 932-7623, 932-7002 (TTY), or e-mail: uds@hawaii.edu.

Outstanding Toastmaster for 2018 named

Keith Kuramoto was named Hilo’s Outstanding Toastmaster for 2018. This award recognizes one member whose club accomplishments, service, dedication and enthusiasm are exceptional. Keith joined Hilo Toastmasters in 2015, and is currently serving as a club officer for the second time.

Club members congratulate Keith on his receiving this award.

For information, visit www.toastmasters.org and www.hilotoastmasters.com.

BISAC’s CEO receives Rural Psychologist of the Year award

The Hawaii Psychological Association recently awarded Dr. Hannah Preston-Pita the award for Provisions of Psycho-logical Services to Rural Communities in October. This prestigious award recognized her for a lifetime of dedicated behavioral health service to rural communities.

She has been with the Big Island Substance Abuse Council for seven years.

“It was a total surprise to me because I truly believe that we (psychologists) get into the field because we have a passion to work with individuals who need help in creating meaningful lives,” said Preston-Pita.

“It is definitely an honor for me to receive this recognition.”

For more information, call 969-9994 or visit www.bisac.org.