Sunday, Oct. 02, 2022|
Share this story
A Kailua-Kona eatery has been closed by the Department of Health for multiple violations.
Sumo Deli in the Lanihau Shopping Center received a red placard on Thursday, the most severe violation the state’s health inspection branch issues.
According to the inspection report, there was an awful smell coming from the kitchen.
“The inspector observed grease interceptor cover coated with grease, fats and scum. While monitoring the waste coating the grease interceptor cover, more waste water, fats, grease, and scum was observed bubbling up from the grease interceptor cover access point,” the report read. “Grease, fats, debris, and scum coated the entire grease interceptor cover plate. A noxious sewage smell permeated from the grease interceptor below the three-compartment sink.”
In addition, a food employee was preparing raw chicken above the sink. The employee also allegedly admitted to knowing about the grease interceptor back up.
Seventeen other violations were cited including improper hand washing, food not protected from cross-contamination, a notice not to store food in the bathroom, food contact surfaces not sanitized, proper holding temperature, and poisonous or toxic materials not properly stored so they can not contaminate food, equipment, utensils, linens, and single-service and single-use articles.
The state report also noted there were also insects and animals present upon inspection, equipment on the hot line was coated with grease, old food, grime, and other contaminants, filthy restrooms plus grease, food residue, dust and grime accumulated on every surface of the kitchen (floors, equipment, walls, ceiling tiles, light fixtures, behind/below hot line, shelving units, vents, exhaust hood, fire suppression system, grease interceptor, food preparation areas).
Corrective action including thorough cleaning and adherence to food safety guidelines must be done before a new inspection.
The restaurant previously received a red placard in July 2021 for 13 violations, which were corrected and the establishment reopened.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *