It’s summertime! And what better way to kick off the season with the “Keiki 3D Art & Design” workshop at Volcano Art Center’s Niaulani Campus.
The workshop will be led by Nikole Nelson from 10-11:30 a.m. on Tuesdays from June 1-July 6.
Children ages 6-12 will learn design fundamentals and work with a variety of mediums to create 3-D artworks. This class breaks down the process of sculpture and makes it accessible to all.
Basic use of power tools (mouse-pad sander and drill) will be taught. Work will be created with everyday materials that can be found at the hardware store. Mediums include plywood, cardboard, sculpting putties, paint, nails/screws and string/yarn.
Safety protocol will be enforced — goggles, masks, gloves and ear protection to be worn as needed.
Sessions will include:
• Volcano summit relief sculpture (two classes).
• Medium: Plywood, cardboard, glue, sculpting mediums, paint.
• Silhouettes: Nails and String (two classes).
• Medium: Plywood, paint, nails, string.
• Repetitive shape sculpture (two classes).
• Medium: Plywood and paint.
The cost to attend is $120, or $110 for VAC members, plus a $30 supply fee.
For more information and to register for the workshop, call 967-8222 or visit www.volcanoartcenter.org.
The Niaulani Campus is located at 19-4074 Old Volcano Road in Volcano Village.