UPDATE: Shark attack victim in stable condition

Updated: 1:15 p.m.

The Hawaii Fire Department said in a news release that the victim, a 57-year-old woman, was attacked from behind and suffered an approximately 2-inch puncture wound to her left knee.


She was brought ashore in a canoe where first aid was rendered.

She was taken to the emergency room at North Hawaii Community Hospital in stable condition.

Updated 11:30 a.m.

Around 8:50 this morning, an ocean excursion tour group of 17 people (eight on stand-up paddle boards, six in canoes, two swimming) were in the ocean, when a jet ski operator told everyone a 10-foot tiger shark was in the area, according to the DLNR.

Initial reports indicate one of the two women swimming “apparently encountered a shark.” This was about 200 yards offshore.

She was transported to the North Hawaii Community Hospital for treatment.


First responders and personnel from the Department of Land and Natural Resources are responding this morning to a report of a nonfatal shark incident near the Kukio Resort Club House in West Hawaii.

Initial reports indicate a woman was swimming about 500-feet from shore, when she apparently encountered a shark. She will be taken to the North Hawaii Community Hospital for treatment.


The DLNR has closed Kukio Bay and nearby Kua Bay for the remainder of the day.

The Hawaii Fire Department will conduct an aerial survey Wednesday morning to determine if any closed beaches will be reopened.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email hawaiiwarriorworld@staradvertiser.com.