Firefighters responded to house fires in Hilo and Puna, fire officials said Monday.
A stove caused $20,000 in damage Monday morning to an Amauulu Road home just off Wainaku Street.
The alarm was logged at 7:42 a.m. at Hilo Central Fire Station and the first unit of 19 arrived six minutes later.
The fire was reported under control at 7:55 p.m. and extinguished three minutes later.
The homeowner escaped after hearing a smoke detector. Firefighters rescued a pet dog inside the home.
The quick response saved an estimated $187,750 in property value police said.
Meanwhile, police and fire inspectors are investigating a house fire that damaged a vacant Pahoa house Saturday night.
Seven units responded to the 9:01 p.m. alarm on Maunakea Road in the Nanawale Estates subdivision.
Arriving firefighters found a vehicle in the carport fully engulfed in flames, with the fire having spread to the carport, the home’s exterior and the interiors of two bedrooms.
The fire was reported under control at 9:23 p.m. and extinguished at 9:28 p.m.
Estimated damages were $27,200 and property value saved was estimated at $110,800.
There were no injuries and the home was not legally occupied at the time.