State briefs for March 6

Man gets 1 year in jail for abusing woman while on parole

WAILUKU, Maui — A man who abused a woman in Hawaii last year was on parole for a domestic battery conviction from Illinois, authorities said.

ADVERTISING


Royce Turner was sentenced last month on Maui to one year in jail after he was found guilty of misdemeanor abuse and interference with reporting a crime.

His former girlfriend told authorities that Turner placed his hands on her throat to choke her in Kihei in August.

Turner has maintained that he did not try to strangle the woman, but he did grab her and take away her phone to prevent her from calling police, said Tyler Stevenson, deputy public defender.

The 29-year-old was convicted of domestic battery in Illinois in September 2016. He was sentenced to three years in prison but was released in March 2018, according to court documents. He had his parole transferred to Hawaii.

Turner selected another victim instead of ending “his violent and abusive behavior,” Deputy Prosecutor Shelly Miyashiro said.

“For grabbing her and taking her phone, I know I was wrong,” Turner told the court. “I was attempting to break up with her. Our relationship wasn’t healthy.”

The judge ordered Turner to serve the Hawaii sentence after he completes his sentence in Illinois.

“That’s because he decided to commit this crime while he was on parole for an even worse crime,” Judge Richard Bissen said.

Remains of NY sailor killed at Pearl Harbor identified

ALBANY, N.Y. — Pentagon officials say the remains of an American sailor from upstate New York who was killed in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor have been identified.

The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency announced Tuesday that the remains of Charles M. Stern Jr., of Albany, have been accounted for.

Stern was a 26-year-old ensign assigned to the battleship USS Oklahoma when the Japanese aerial attack on Hawaii on Dec. 7, 1941, sank the vessel as its mooring at Ford Island.

ADVERTISING


The Oklahoma was hit by multiple torpedoes and capsized. Stern and more than 400 other crewmembers were killed. The Navy spent the next three years recovering remains from the wreck. They were interred in nearby cemeteries.

Stern’s remains were among those disinterred in 2015 in an attempt to identify the Oklahoma’s unknowns.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email hawaiiwarriorworld@staradvertiser.com.