Old A rape suspect in custody again

  • Samuel Latrik

KEALAKEKUA — A Kona teen facing felony sex assault charges is being detained without bail after he was picked up on a bench warrant for the second time because of reported violations of conditions of his release.

Samuel Latrik was taken into custody Tuesday afternoon in the Kealakehe area, according to Big Island police. He appeared Wednesday before Kona Circuit Judge Robert D.S. Kim. A hearing was scheduled for Sept. 17 to address Hawaii Intake Service Center’s verified application to revoke the 18-year-old’s bail for noncompliance with terms of his release.


Kim stated the court will maintain no bail status until the hearing.

Latrik is one of two suspects accused of sexually assaulting a woman at Old Kona Airport Park in September 2016. Tyron Sigrah, 17, was arrested in November 2017 in connection with the assault.

Latrik is accused of three counts of first-degree sexual assault, second-degree sexual assault, kidnapping, second-degree robbery, first-degree terroristic threatening and third-degree sexual assault.

A jury trial is set for Oct. 23.

Latrik and Sigrah have been out on $25,000 bail for several months.

Electronic monitoring was instated after Latrik was brought to court July 31 on a bench warrant for not checking in with his social worker. Deputy Prosecutor Sheri Lawson stated in court then that she was opposed to electronic monitoring and requested bail be increased or revoked.

Since a Marshallese interpreter had not been used during Latrik’s meetings with his social worker, Kim thought there was a possibility of a communication break down.

On Aug. 10, Kim told Latrik he would only be allowed to leave his home for medical or legal appointments. He was also required to check in with HISC when he left his residence and when he returned. A Marshallese interpreter was present in the courtroom at the time of the instruction.

On Friday, HISC filed its second application to revoke bail, recognizance or supervised release. According to the application, Latrik left his home at 10:05 p.m. Aug. 22 and didn’t return until 4:07 a.m. the next day.

HISC was closed Aug. 23 because of Hurricane Lane and didn’t reopen until Aug. 27. Once reopened, Latrik was contacted and warned about the consequences if he didn’t follow the terms of his release.

“The defendant was told if he did not comply with the terms and conditions of his release, the court would be notified and revocation would be submitted,” court documents state.

According to HISC, Latrik left home again without authorization at 8:36 p.m. Sept. 5 and returned a couple of hours later at 10:42 p.m.

“The defendant is in clear violation of the terms and conditions of release and the terms and conditions of the electronic monitoring,” court document states.

Latrik and Sigrah are accused of beating and raping a woman Sept. 3, 2016, on the soccer field at Old Kona Airport Park. According to the Hawaii Police Department, two boys approached the woman, punched and sexually assaulted her. Police added the boys fled when confronted by an unidentified person.


Sigrah recently pleaded guilty to first-degree sexual assault, second-degree assault and second-degree robbery. He is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 18.

Email Tiffany DeMasters at tdemasters@westhawaiitoday.com.