Hawaii Island schools and libraries would receive more than $10 million in capital improvement project funds under the proposed state budget for fiscal years 2018 and 2019.
House Bill 1900, which appropriates funds for operating the government and capital improvement projects for fiscal years 2018 and 2019, cleared the House of Representatives on Tuesday.
Hawaii Island capital improvement projects included in the bill are:
• $1.8 million for the design of a classroom building at E.B. de Silva Elementary School.
• $2.4 million for the design of a multipurpose building at Haaheo Elementary School.
• $3.7 million for the construction of a covered play court at Chiefess Kapiolani Elementary School.
• $300,000 for the planning of a new library in Keaau and Mountain View.
• $1.9 million for land acquisition for a public library in Waikoloa.
The bill appropriates a total of $2.1 billion to the state Department of Education for fiscal year 2019. It includes $500,000 for the Early College program, $1 million to provide additional support to English Language Learners, and $400,000 for the Teacher Certification Stipend Program to help increase the number of qualified public school teachers in Hawaii.
For fiscal year 2018, the budget bill totals $7.24 billion in general funds and $14.10 billion in all means of financing. For fiscal year 2019, it appropriates $7.4 billion in general funds and $14.3 billion in all financing means. It includes $2.2 billion for fiscal year 2018 and $2.1 billion for fiscal year 2019 for CIP.