State fines county $350,000 over alleged landfill violations
The Hawaii State Department of Health has filed two notices and findings of violation and orders against the County of Hawaii for alleged solid waste permit violations occurring at the Hilo and Puuanahulu landfills.
The state has ordered the county to correct the violations and levied fines totaling more than $350,000.
The county has requested a hearing to contest the order and allegations concerning the Hilo landfill and may do so in the Kona case, as well, according to a written statement from DOH.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.