NSA surveillance: A new door to court challenges?
WASHINGTON — A Brooklyn man in prison for terrorism might have a new opportunity to challenge his conviction because the government only recently told him how it obtained evidence it intended to use against him.
It was through one of the National Security Agency’s secret surveillance programs.
On Monday, the government notified Albanian citizen Agron Hasbajrami it intended to use information from the warrantless surveillance program — something federal law required him to be told in September 2011.
Hasbajrami pleaded guilty in 2012 to a terrorism charge after admitting he tried to go to Pakistan to join a radical jihadist insurgent group. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison.
This week’s notice is the third of its kind since the Justice Department last year pledged to review certain terrorism cases in order to provide a clearer picture of how classified evidence against defendants was gathered. Hasbajrami’s is the first closed case in which such a notification was provided.
The new policy is one of the ripple effects from disclosures last year by former NSA systems analyst Edward Snowden. The Snowden leaks prompted major reviews of the programs that collected and examined billions of electronic and telephone communications. President Barack Obama is considering reforms. It’s unclear what impact these after-the-fact notifications will have on criminal cases in U.S. courts.
In its letter to Hasbajrami, the government said the notification that it used additional warrantless surveillance against him is not necessarily grounds for him to withdraw his guilty plea or challenge his conviction.
That could ultimately be up to a judge to decide.
“The new filings show that warrantless surveillance has played a role in more criminal cases than the government has ever before admitted, and that it has been improperly withholding that fact from defendants for years,” said Patrick Toomey, an attorney in the American Civil Liberties Union National Security Project.
Last year, Snowden leaked documents that revealed the extent of some of the surveillance, including one program begun in 2008 that allows the government to read or listen to communications of non-Americans located outside the U.S. for counterterrorism purposes.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.