The 16th annual Hilo Culinary Classic took place Friday at Hawaii Community College and highlighted creations by students of the Culinary Arts Program.
The event featured food to eat as well as food meant exclusively for viewing as first-year HCC students presented a heavy pupu buffet. Foodies, families of student chefs and all members of the public enjoyed the technical heights HCC culinary students reached.
Judges included Jim O’Keefe, formerly of O’Keefe and Sons Bakery; Chef Ernesto Limcaco, corporate executive chef for Y Hata Ltd.; and Chef Casey Halpern, of Café Pesto.
Former Student Division:
• First place: Lazareth Sye, bread sculpture.
College Student Division and overall winners:
• First place: Sarah Ruesing, cake.
• Second place: Jairlynn Kinoshita, cake.
• Third place: Bethany Ariga and Kyle Nakamura, five course.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Stephens Media LLC is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.