Hawaii Care Choices hires new director of clinical services

Hawaii Care Choices, formerly Hospice of Hilo, announces the hiring of Chenit Ong-Flaherty as director of clinical services, a position that entails strong leadership and management oversight of all clinical team services for the organization’s palliative, hospice and bereavement programs.

Help the bamboo patch sing

Kenji Kuroshima is a bamboo maven, tour guide, tea practitioner, official photographer for the Merrie Monarch Festival and member of the board of directors of Friends of Lili‘uokalani Gardens.

Learn ‘The Four Agreements’

This month’s speaker for Ku‘ikahi Mediation Center’s “Finding Solutions, Growing Peace” Brown Bag Lunch Series on Aug. 16 is Dennis Soares.

Abstract Only! Exhibit opens Friday

Abstract Only! Exhibit opens at Wailoa Center Friday and will run through Aug. 30. Sponsored by the Hawaii Island Art Alliance and hosted by Wailoa Center it will feature 104 works of art by 67 artists from Hawaii Island, Oahu, Maui, Japan, South Carolina and Illinois.

Big Island artist shows eruption-inspired painting

Puna resident Bailey Ferguson will be showing a piece in a developing larger series of abstract artwork inspired by the recent Kilauea eruption. “I’m using this series to heal from some of the trauma felt as a result of mine and many of my friends’ lives being turned upside down by the recent eruption,” Ferguson said.

County receives award from gov’t finance group

The Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting was awarded to County of Hawaii by the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada for its comprehensive annual financial report.

Volunteers work to restore dry land forest

KAILUA-KONA — Leaning against her car late last year in the parking lot of Hawaii Community College - Palamanui, Juanita Thompson looked south across the fountain grass that spread over the lava field.