Pahoa Skate Park to reopen

The county Department of Parks and Recreation announced Thursday that the Pahoa Skate Park, located at the Pahoa Regional Recreational Facility, will reopen Wednesday (Aug. 15).

Original play festival slated next week

Six new, unpublished, unproduced plays will be presented during four days of staged readings by 21 actors, with six first-time directors at the helm, for Aloha Theatre’s 25th annual Original Play Festival.

All walk-in voting sites open today

All of the county’s absentee walk-in voting sites, including those at the Pahoa and Pahala community centers, will be open today now that the threat of Hurricane Hector has passed, according to the Office of Elections.

Martin named North Hawai‘i Community Hospital employee of the quarter

WAIMEA — Turner Martin, a registered nurse in the hospital’s Medical-Surgical Department, has been named North Hawai’i Community Hospital’s employee of the quarter. Turner began working at NHCH as a volunteer, then was hired as a certified nursing assistant. Turner further advanced his career and became a registered nurse. “Turner is being recognized for his exceptional work as a nurse and his uplifting attitude that he brings to his patients and co-workers every day,” said Cindy Kamikawa, Presid ent, North Hawai’i Community Hospital. “Turner has a heart of a champion, is always willing to help, and is always smiling .”

Get help entering Art by Hand exhibit

The Art by Hand: Contemporary Craft Juried Exhibit, featuring clay, fiber, glass, metal, wood and mixed media pieces from throughout the state, will be on display from Sept. 7-27 at Wailoa Center in Hilo.

Personal philanthropy links Hawaii Island and Japan

Since the 1999 opening of the Subaru Telescope on Maunakea, the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan has found creative ways to give back to the host community on Hawaii Island. Support of educational programs, behind-the-scenes tours of its facility and donations of scientific equipment are just a few examples.

Gigantic deals

Shoppers look through houseware items Saturday during the Hilo Betsuin BWA Gigantic Garage Sale at Sangha Hall in Hilo.