Let’s Talk Food: Are you prepared for a disaster?

April is Tsunami Awareness Month and very important to our family. My sister and I were raised by a mother who was washed away by the 1946 tsunami and lost her mother, father, niece and nephew. When the waves subsided, my mother had no clothes except what she was wearing, no parents and no home. That incident had a lasting effect on her when raising us, as she taught us to always be prepared with food.

In Brief

A brief roundup of community news and upcoming activities and events.

Tropical Gardening: Global warming means palms in surprising places

A visit to Hawaii is the treat of a lifetime to millions of people a year, and many folks who come are friends or relatives of those of us who live here. One of the highlights for them is to experience the lush tropical gardens and forests that are unlike any place in the continental United States.

Learn about communicating the Hawaiian way

The nonprofit Ku‘ikahi Mediation Center is hosting a free talk from noon-1 p.m. Thursday as part of its monthly “Finding Solutions, Growing Peace” Brown Bag Lunch Series at the Office of the Prosecuting Attorney in Hilo.

Club meeting to focus on composition, macro photography

Club members Ken Jackson will offer a presentation on photographic composition and Vijay Karai will share insights and techniques in the art of macro photography at 7 p.m. Wednesday during the next meeting of the Hilo Photography Club at the Kamana Senior Center in Hilo.

Can you help identify this photo?

The Tribune-Herald each Saturday is publishing a photo from the Lyman Museum’s John Howard Pierce Photography Collection. The Kona Historical Society generously donated the collection in 2007. The museum is seeking help identifying the people and places in the pictures, most of which are from the 1960s and ’70s. Those with information about the subjects in the photos can contact the museum at 935-5021 or archives@lymanmuseum.org. THIS PHOTO (NO. 17667) was captured April 28, 1964.