Beginning Hawaiian language classes offered at Volcano Art Center

Courtesy photo University of Hawaii at Hilo instructor ‘Alika Guerrero will lead two Hawaiian language classes at the Volcano Art Center.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Have you always wanted to learn Hawaiian but haven’t had the time? Just visiting the islands and want to immerse yourself in the culture? Or, are you new to the islands and unsure of how to pronounce street and place names?

There are ever-increasing numbers of fluent Hawaiian speakers and now you can begin to learn this rich and vibrant language.

Volcano Art Center is presenting two series of Papa ‘Olelo Hawai‘i, beginning Hawaiian language courses taught by University of Hawaii at Hilo instructor ‘Alika Guerrero.

Papa ‘Olelo Hawai‘i Part One will be offered for eight weeks from 5-6:30 p.m. Thursdays beginning Jan. 11. This basics class will focus on simple vocabulary, conversation, grammar and sentence structure.

Papa ‘Olelo Hawai‘i Part Four will be offered for eight weeks from 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays beginning Jan. 11. This class will focus on expanding simple vocabulary, conversation, grammar and sentence structure. Some Hawaiian language experience is preferred for this series.

Guerrero has a Bachelor of Arts in Hawaiian studies, history and anthropology from UH-Hilo and is pursuing his Master of Arts in Hawaiian language and literature. He has taught community Hawaiian language courses for three years.

Classes will take place at Volcano Art Center’s Ni‘aulani Campus. The class fee for either session is $90, $80 for VAC members. The required workbook for the class is “Na Kai ‘Ewalu,” available at the UH-Hilo bookstore. The center’s Ni‘aulani Campus is located at 19-4074 Old Volcano Road in Volcano Village.

To register or for more information, contact Volcano Art Center at 967-8222 or visit www.volcanoartcenter.org.